The DOs and DON'Ts
Please, pretty please, take a minute to sit down with a cup of tea and read these Do’s and Don’ts of the ASOS Marketplace. They will not only help to keep you on the straight and narrow, but will also act as a map, guiding you through the site and introducing you to the bustling ASOS Marketplace community.
ASOS Marketplace is a place for fashion lovers to sell to and buy from other fashion lovers. Occasionally, we find a few intruders that are intent on misbehaving. To try and keep the problems to a minimum, we’ve set a few rules for everyone...
ASOS Marketplace is a buying and selling community; it exists because of our members mutual love for unique fashion discoveries. We expect all members of ASOS Marketplace to treat each other nicely, with respect and kindness.
Your username on ASOS Marketplace is your identity on the site, and everything you do under this username is your responsibility. So behave yourself and don’t upload anything rude, or we’ll tell your Mum. Remember, all ASOS Marketplace usernames are actual people, with real feelings – so don’t let the fact you can’t physically see someone affect how you behave. Please be nice, and please be appropriate.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to hold an account on ASOS Marketplace.
- You may not use the public areas of your account to demonstrate or discuss disputes with others or with ASOS Marketplace.
- You must not participate in the sale of counterfeit goods. For information about how to spot a fake, visit our Fashion not Fakes page.
- You may not transfer ownership or sell your ASOS Marketplace account to another party.
- You may not use ASOS Marketplace to direct buyers to another online selling venue to purchase the same items as listed in your ASOS Marketplace boutique, as this may constitute fee avoidance. This includes posting links/URLs or providing information sufficient to locate the other online venue(s).
- An ASOS Marketplace account may not be used for the purpose of redirecting traffic to another web location.
- Keep your account information updated and accurate. Your account must have a valid email address at all times. ASOS Marketplace will use the email address on file in your account information to contact you when necessary.
- ASOS Marketplace encourages all members to resolve their own disputes. As a selling venue, ASOS Marketplace may try to help users resolve their disputes, however all disputes regarding transactions will ultimately be determined by PayPal.
Messaging is your way to communicate privately with other ASOS Marketplace members. It’s essentially email, but purely for ASOS Marketplace members. Messages are primarily intended for communicating about transactions and orders that are underway.
- You must not use Messages to send unsolicited advertising or promotions, requests for donations or "spam”, or pass on email addresses or any other information on to third parties. Not Cool Buddy.
- Please use common sense when giving out personal information to others via messaging, don’t be a Wally and send someone all your credit card details.
- Rather obviously, you must not use messages to knowingly harass or abuse another member.
- If someone explicitly tells you not to contact them, you must not use Messages to contact them again, unless you are involved in an open transaction. No one likes to be stalked.
You must not use Messages to interfere with a transaction. This means…
- You must not contact another member to buy or sell an item listed on ASOS Marketplace outside of the ASOS Marketplace site. This may also constitute fee avoidance.
- You must not communicate with a member involved in an active or completed transaction to warn the member away from a particular buyer, seller or item.
As an anti-spam measure, sending too many messages too quickly may auto-disable your Messages. You must contact Support to have your ability to send Messages reinstated.Return to top
Please take a moment to fully understand the fundamental difference between ASOS Marketplace and ASOS.com. ASOS Marketplace is a selling venue, but NOT a retailer in itself, like ASOS.com. ASOS Marketplace cannot be held responsible for the actions taken by both the sellers and the buyers using Marketplace. If you have a problem with a transaction you must first contact the seller, then raise a dispute within ASOS Marketplace, then as a last resort, raise a Paypal dispute.
ASOS Marketplace's role is to connect the buyer and the seller. This means when you place an order on ASOS Marketplace, you are entering into a direct transaction and personal relationship with an individual seller (facilitated by ASOS Marketplace). We encourage the buyer and seller to independently work through the transaction to completion. ASOS Marketplace champions the sale of individual items; so naturally, your relationship with the seller will be just as individual.
Here's the rundown on what happens when you buy an item on ASOS Marketplace:
-A transaction is created when a buyer completes ASOS Marketplace's checkout process.
-The seller and buyer will receive email notification from ASOS Marketplace with information about the transaction and an invoice record in your “My Marketplace”.
-An ASOS Marketplace transaction is completed when the buyer pays and the seller ships the item. Payment is submitted directly to the seller via Paypal.
Communication is the key! All buyer questions regarding transactions, including payment arrangements and cancellations, should be directed to the seller. ASOS Marketplace recommends that members use ASOS Marketplace Messaging to correspond with one another. ASOS Marketplace encourages all sellers to provide the best customer service they can, and keep records regarding proof of shipping (for example: delivery confirmation, shipping service receipt, customs form).
In certain circumstances, a seller may cancel an invalid or void transaction or refuse service to a buyer.
Transaction policies for the seller:
- The seller must sell the item(s) to the buyer with whom the transaction is created, unless the transaction is eligible for cancellation.
- The seller must ship the item(s) as described.
- The seller must ship the item(s) within a reasonable amount of time, as agreed in the transaction.
- The seller must ship the item(s) to the shipping address submitted by the buyer. The seller should communicate with the buyer if shipping information is unclear or inconsistent.
- The seller must abide by the Marketplace Returns Policy which states the following: The Seller is obliged to accept returns if the item is delivered to a buyer in a different condition than it was advertised or if the buyer cancels the purchase within 7 days of receiving the item. The seller is also obliged to accept a return if an item is different to how it was advertised in the listing within 28 days of the transaction. For more information see our Selling FAQs.
- In the event of a dispute, the seller may be asked to provide ASOS Marketplace with proof of shipping. ASOS Marketplace will not hold the seller responsible for postal or shipping service delays or errors, theft or customs delays.
Transaction policies for the buyer:
- The buyer must pay the seller directly by using your PayPal account. Do not send payment to ASOS Marketplace.
- The buyer must pay at the time the transaction is created, according to transaction agreement.
- The buyer must submit valid shipping information to the seller, according to transaction agreement.
- In the event of a dispute concerning the return of the item(s) to a seller, the buyer may be asked to provide ASOS Marketplace with proof of shipping back to the seller. ASOS Marketplace will not hold the buyer responsible for postal or shipping service delays or errors, theft or customs delays when returning items to the seller.
Transaction concerns or disputes
We hope that your shopping experience on ASOS Marketplace is a stress-free and happy one. In the event of a transaction dispute, ASOS Marketplace encourages the buyer and seller to resolve the situation through ASOS Marketplace Messages, email and by submitting fair, honest feedback. In the event that the dispute cannot be resolved, buyers and sellers should contact PayPal. The policies below describe various types of transaction disputes and the roles of the seller, the buyer and ASOS Marketplace in each scenario.
If an item has not been paid for, the seller is under no obligation to ship the item and ASOS Marketplace does not encourage them to do so.
Non-delivery occurs when a seller does not or cannot ship an item after a transaction has been created and the buyer has sent payment to the seller. The buyer may file a non-delivery report with PayPal against the seller. ASOS Marketplace relies on buyers to submit fair, honest feedback for sellers in non-delivery circumstances.
Please note: a buyer who paid a seller via PayPal may have a limited time frame in which to file a claim for refund of purchase under PayPal's policies.
- The seller must ship goods within a reasonable amount of time, according to transaction agreement.
- The seller must respond to a non-delivery report by contacting ASOS Marketplace. A non-delivery report cannot be closed until the seller contacts ASOS Marketplace.
- The seller may be asked to provide ASOS Marketplace with proof of shipping in the event of a dispute.
A seller who fails to ship an item, respond to a non-delivery report or settle a disputed transaction in a reasonable manner may be suspended from selling on Marketplace.
ASOS Marketplace encourages sellers to keep in touch with your buyers, and have an open and clear channel of communication. You should always provide the best customer service you can, and honour transaction agreements. However, if a seller cannot complete a transaction due to an extraordinary circumstance, then the seller may refuse service to the buyer.
- The seller must notify the buyer of refusal of service through ASOS Marketplace Messaging.
- The seller can only refuse service prior to shipping.
- If the buyer has already paid, then the seller must refund the buyer (price paid for item plus shipping).
- Refusing service and cancelling a transaction isn’t the same thing. The seller may only cancel a transaction when applicable (see Transaction cancellation).
- Unless otherwise agreed or according to the seller's terms, a seller's refusal of service to a specific buyer is indefinite within that seller's ASOS Marketplace Boutique
Members who abuse the privilege to refuse service may be subject to review, which can result in suspension of account privileges and/or termination.
Dissatisfaction with item or service
A buyer may not be completely satisfied with a purchase or transaction experience. ASOS Marketplace recommends that the buyer communicate with the seller by ASOS Marketplace Messaging or email to resolve the matter. Sellers are encouraged to consider customer service best practices.
- The seller must accurately describe the item in the listing (see Creating A Listing).
- The seller must fully describe what is included, if the product is photographed or displayed with other items.
In the event the buyer receives a product that is significantly different from the original listing, the buyer should first contact the seller to try to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved, please raise a dispute on ASOS Marketplace by going to My Marketplace > Ppurchases and raise a dispute against the relevent item. This will give the seller a chance to resolve the dispute before the buyer contacts PayPal.
After contacting the seller and Raising A Dispute on ASOS Marketplace, if the issue is still not resolved, you should raise a dispute with PayPal. ASOS Marketplace relies on buyers to submit fair, honest feedback for sellers in circumstances when the buyer is dissatisfied with an item or the seller's customer service.
To ensure the integrity of ASOS Marketplace and help protect members from potentially fraudulent activity, transaction interference is not allowed on ASOS Marketplace. The following circumstances are considered transaction interference:
- You may not contact another member to buy or sell an item listed on ASOS Marketplace outside of ASOS Marketplace. This may also constitute fee avoidance.
- You may not communicate (for example: by ASOS Marketplace Messaging, in ASOS Marketplace's community spaces) with a member involved in an active or completed transaction to warn the member away from a particular buyer, seller or item.
ASOS Marketplace charges commissions or fees to sellers for use of ASOS Marketplace's services. Sellers agree to complete valid transactions and pay ASOS Marketplace fees in full each month. On occasion, a seller may need to cancel an invalid or void transaction. When applicable, PayPal will issue a refund to the seller for the applicable fees and the transaction will be removed from ASOS Marketplace. Only the seller in a transaction may cancel the transaction. The buyer should contact the seller by ASOS Marketplace Messaging or email to request cancellation of a transaction. The buyer may contact Customer Care if the seller does not respond to a request to cancel a transaction.
- The seller may not cancel a transaction for the purpose of avoiding fees or feedback.
The seller may cancel an invalid or void transaction, as defined by these circumstances:
- The buyer did not pay at the time the transaction was created, according to the transaction agreement.
- Both the buyer and seller agree to cancel the transaction prior to shipment. If the buyer has already paid, the seller has refunded buyer (price paid for item plus shipping).
- The seller has refused service to the buyer. If the buyer has already paid, the seller has refunded the buyer (price paid for item plus shipping).
- The buyer paid for the item(s). Although the seller shipped the item(s), the buyer did not receive the item(s). The seller has refunded the buyer (price paid for item at minimum).
Members who abuse the privilege to cancel transactions may be subject to review, which can result in the suspension or removal of their account.Return to top
Feedback is incredibly important to ASOS Marketplace. It is an open forum that helps build a reputation of trust between our buyers and sellers and ASOS Marketplace.
For every transaction, the buyer has the opportunity to submit a rating (positive, neutral or negative) and a comment. A comment is mandatory when leaving negative or neutral feedback. The buyer has the opportunity to submit feedback after the transaction is completed. The integrity of the feedback system relies on the ASOS Marketplace community leaving fair, honest and consistent reviews.
Feedback directly affects a member's reputation, so we ask that members take it seriously.
- Once feedback is submitted it can be changed once if a mistake has been made. You can not change feedback for the worse. You can change feedback by visiting My Marketplace > Feedback or in the order details page.
- You will be able to leave feedback 3 days after the order was placed. Do not leave feedback until you have received the order. This is to ensure that you do not leave feedback until the order has been completed. Feedback ratings, comments or images removed by ASOS Marketplace cannot be reinstated or resubmitted.
Members may ask ASOS Marketplace to review feedback for removal. Contact Customer Care to request a feedback review. ASOS Marketplace does not investigate the validity of opinions or statements made in feedback or mediate feedback disputes. At ASOS Marketplace's discretion and without notice to both parties involved, feedback may be removed or altered by ASOS Marketplace in the following circumstances:
- Personally identifying or private information was published (for example: a phone number, real name, email address, physical address, content of a private ASOS Marketplace Messaging, details regarding an ASOS Marketplace investigation).
- Feedback contains mature, profane or racist language and/or images.
- Feedback contains spam, links, scripts or advertising.
- Shilling is evident (fraudulent inflation of feedback rating by use of an alternate account).
- Feedback is given for a transaction created for the sole purpose of leaving feedback.
- Negative or neutral feedback was mistakenly submitted for a different transaction.
- Negative or neutral feedback refers to an unrelated transaction.
- Negative or neutral feedback comments about using ASOS Marketplace or other services (for example: payment processors).
- A member is confused about how to use the Feedback system, resulting in unintended negative or neutral feedback.
- ASOS Marketplace is provided with a valid court order requesting removal of feedback.
Members with low overall feedback scores or members who have violated the above policies for feedback may be subject to review by the ASOS Marketplace team, which can result in suspension of account privileges or the removal of your account.Return to top
ASOS Marketplace provides a marketplace for independent boutiques, designers and vintage resellers that successfully apply to open a Marketplace boutique. Please note only a small percentage of applicants are chosen to open Marketplace boutiques – in our boutiques we’re looking for the world’s best fashion for our customers and unfortunately not all clothing and accessories fulfill both of those criteria.
Most of our boutiques belong to individuals and small businesses. We encourage all sellers to provide information about yourself and/or your designs in your boutique profile and About US page.
Please keep the following things in mind as you set up your boutique and create listings:
- A seller's policies must abide by ASOS Marketplace's site-wide policies. ASOS Marketplace reserves the right to request that a seller provide policy information or require a seller to modify unreasonable policies at ASOS Marketplace's discretion.
- Use of mature, profane and/or racist language or images in the public areas of your ASOS Marketplace boutique is not permitted. This includes your username, boutique profile, item titles, tags, avatar, banner, boutique announcement, blogs, fashion feed, about us and/or boutique sections.
- You may not set a minimum purchase amount requirement in your boutique.
- Fees for ASOS Marketplace will be automatically withdrawn from a seller’s PayPal account and sellers will be invoiced to inform them of the fees. In the event that an automatic withdrawal fails for some reason you will need to ensure that the invoice is paid on time to avoid penalties, including but not limited to: suspension of listing privileges and/or account termination. See our Fees and Features for more information.
- You may not engage in any activity to avoid ASOS Marketplace's fees. This includes but is not limited to: completing a transaction off the ASOS Marketplace once it has been initiated on the site, listing an item below its intended purchase price or canceling a valid completed transaction.
All listings on ASOS Marketplace should be as clear and detailed as possible. Accurate titles, tags and descriptions will all help potential buyers find the items they are looking for. Correctly styled photos are also critical to selling on ASOS Marketplace. We have produced photography guides to help you through this process, and check out the help information on Listing An Item for more information on how to list your items. Keep these policies in mind as you list and describe your items:
- Listing descriptions and photos must accurately describe the item for sale so buyers know what is included in the purchase, especially in images where another product is visible.
Each listing must be available for purchase.
- You may not create a listing for an item that is not for sale or sold out.
- A listing may not be created for the sole purpose of sharing photographs or other information with the community.
- A listing may not be created solely as an advertisement. This includes notices of sales or promotions in your boutique. Such information may be included in your boutique profile, banner, boutique announcement and/or item descriptions.
- Items must not be listed as available for rental or lease.
- You may not edit a listing's information to change it to an entirely different item; this is considered fee avoidance.
- All listings on ASOS Marketplace must be for a tangible object.
- You may not use ASOS Marketplace to direct shoppers to another online selling venue to purchase the same items as listed in your ASOS Marketplace boutique/seller listings, as this may constitute fee avoidance. This includes posting links/URLs or providing information sufficient to locate the other online venue(s).
- A listing must not be conditional upon the purchase of another listing (for example: saying "this item may only be purchased along with another item" is not allowed). This includes listings for item upgrades, shipping upgrades and gift wrapping upgrades.
A free with purchase item may not be listed as a separate listing conditional upon the purchase of another item you have listed.
- The title and tags must not mention or describe the free with purchase item.
- Information about free with purchase items may only be included in the item description.
- A free with purchase item must not be featured in the first photograph of the listing.
- The listing price must only reflect the listed item.
- All items must be shipped under the direct supervision of the seller.
- ASOS wants fashion to be cruelty free. We do not permit the use of fur or endangered animal skin in ASOS brand products. We require our suppliers to guarantee that leather or skin products do not come from endangered species, and are produced ethically and without cruelty, unfortunately this also means that we cannot allow vintage furs on ASOS Marketplace.
Listings that do not comply with ASOS Marketplace's policies may be subject to review by the ASOS Marketplace team.
Vintage goods and vintage collectibles may also be sold on ASOS Marketplace. The following information details the criteria and guidelines regarding listing these items:
- The Vintage category is for items that are at least 20 years old, or if under 20 years old, is a notable vintage piece e.g 90’s Versaci Logo Shirt = Vintage. Your old C&A pedal pushers = Not Vintage.
- Unaltered items or items which have been repaired or restored to their original condition are allowed to be listed in the Vintage category.
- Reconstructed or significantly altered vintage items are considered handmade. These items should be listed as handmade, and not as Vintage.
ASOS Marketplace aims to maintain a marketplace appropriate for general audiences, therefore the use of mature content is not permitted and any listing in violation of this, in the view of ASOS Marketplace, will be will be removed from the site, and the member's selling privileges may be suspended or the account removed.
Counterfeit Goods and Prohibited Items
Each ASOS Marketplace seller warrants that his or her use of the site complies with all applicable laws.
Beyond purely legal issues, ASOS Marketplace members must make ethical and moral decisions, and take responsibility for what they buy and sell on ASOS Marketplace.
Some items are inappropriate for ASOS Marketplace, even though they may otherwise meet ASOS Marketplace's selling criteria. You may not list the following types of items on ASOS Marketplace:
- Counterfeits - see Fashion not Fakes
- Pornographic material
- Items that promote or glorify hatred, racial, religious intolerance
- Items that instruct others to engage in illegal activity
ASOS Marketplace have a zero tolerance policy towards the sale of counterfeit goods. We will work with brands to identify and remove any sellers who are found to be selling counterfeit goods. The selling of counterfeit goods is a huge problem, and as a result, ASOS Marketplace have created the Fashion not Fakes campaign, dedicated to the identification and removal of such items. For more information please read the dedicated Fashion not Fakes page here.
A seller may not disclaim knowledge of counterfeits that are posted. It is your responsibility to ensure that the items you are listing are authentic. If you cannot verify the authenticity of an item then it cannot be listed on ASOS Marketplace.Return to top
Reporting an Item/Seller
Reporting is like ASOS Marketplace's neighbourhood watch. It's your way to let us know of anything that rings alarm bells. Use the Report This Item link on any item listing page. This is a confidential process. You will have complete anonymity; the seller that has been reported will not know who made the report. Additionally, ASOS Marketplace's investigation will be handled privately; you will not receive a personal response when you Report an item.
- Reporting should be used on any item listing, or boutique that violates any of ASOS Marketplace's policies.
- Do not report a single violation multiple times.
- Since reporting is a private matter, members should not discuss flags in any of ASOS Marketplace's community spaces.
In most cases, ASOS Marketplace will work with a member privately to remedy the problem. If a seller does not respond to ASOS Marketplace's communication or requests in a timely manner, the item may be permanently removed, and the user's selling privileges may be suspended or their account removed. Abuse of the reporting system by means of repeated, unjustified reporting may result in the suspension or removal of your account.For information on how to spot a fake – visit our Fashion not Fakes feature.Return to top
Effective Date: 22nd November 2010
ASOS Marketplace reserves the right to alter these policies at any time.
Back to help